Saturday, January 8, 2011
Blog entry#1: Art Imitating Media Imitating Life
Social networking sites allow people to interact and communicate through the internet. However, sites such as facebook, are not always completely safe against unwanted users, unless you develop and set you're profile and information that way.
Protecting privacy against predators
I have numerous ways in which I protect my privacy. I give limited personal information about myself whether it shows publicly to everyone or not, like not including my address, phone number, etc. Another way is that I do not write where I am currently located on my status or make it known to anyone through facebook where I am, especially if I am home alone. I also set my privacy settings to be viewed only by friends and I do not accept people I do not know or people who I have never actually met or seen in person, even if I have heard of them. Another way is that I never give my password out and if ever I feel someone's been on my account I change my password without hesitation.
Why is this so important?
It is important to me and for me to protect my privacy against uninvited eyes and advertisers because it could be potentially dangerous to be so exposed on the internet. Not everyone using the internet is good and not everyone on the internet simply wants to be friends. They could be people who may want to cause harm to you or steal your information to be used to their advantage like using it to create a credit card under your name. However, even if people you don't know do not intend on doing any harm I don't know why any person would want their information accessed by strangers, good or bad. The people that know you should only be the people YOU know and invite to view your pages.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment